Work Japan FAQs

Book your Work Japan experience today!


At a Glance

Costs from



Work Japan FAQs

Do I need to be fluent in Japanese to get a job?

No, for the jobs in Tokyo you don’t need to know any Japanese, but it is of course advantageous to know at least some basics, as there will be more job options available in this case. BUNAC can organise language lessons for you once you arrive in Japan.

Jobs you can get without speaking Japanese include English teacher, English-language childcare jobs, jobs in Western restaurant, cafés and bars such British pubs, English tea rooms, American diners, Italian pizzerias, German beer gardens and similar, or jobs for which little spoken language is needed such as cleaning, packaging goods or light factory work.

How much will I earn through my working holiday job in Japan?

In Tokyo you typically make between 1,000 - 1,200 Yen (6.60 - 8 GBP / 7.50-9 EUR) per hour. If you work 28 hours per week (part time) this means around 120,000 to 140,000 Yen per month (around 800 - 930 GBP / 900 -1050 EUR). If you work 40 hours per week (full time) it is around 160,000 - 200,000 Yen per month (1,060 - 1,330 GBP / 1,200 - 1,500 EUR).

How do I get a job?

The Job Counseling session, run through our partners in Japan, will extensively prepare you for everything you need to know about the Japanese working environment. They will also practice a job interview with you.

Furthermore, prior to your arrival there will be a Skype training session with an intercultural focus related to "Working with Japanese people".

We will accompany you to the Japanese employment office, where there is access to a huge database of jobs that don't require native Japanese language skills.

We will translate your resume from English to Japanese.

Our office is open for 4 hours every weekday to help you find a job: we browse online job boards for you to identify suitable jobs and help you with the application letter and communication in Japanese, as well as with legal stuff (e.g. checking work contracts).

Almost every day we publish available positions on our participants' job portal, which you will get access to.

At our partner’s office you can use a computer and printer to search for jobs and to print your application documents.

What accommodation is included in my BUNAC program?

The arrival accommodation in Tokyo is dorm style accommodation at a Share House. Typically this is separated into single sex rooms.

Can I upgrade my accommodation?

You can upgrade your accommodation and/or extend the nights at an additional cost. Twins/Doubles and single rooms are subject to availability.

Will BUNAC assist me with getting the visa?

BUNAC will provide information on how to apply for the visa. All applicants can also ask for their documents to be reviewed by BUNAC to ensure they are done correctly