Work Canada FAQs

Work in Canada Is now closed for 2019.

Email me when Work in Canada opens


When should I apply for the Work Canada program?

US citizens can apply for a visa at any time with allocations usually ending in October

Who can apply for the Work Canada program?

American passport holders must be aged between 18-35.

I have been on the Work Canada program before. Can I go again?

YES. Americans can apply for the Work Canada program a 2nd time if they still meet all program and visa eligibility requirements.

Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On the Essentials Package you will have access to our offices in Tornoto and Vancouver which is a great place to meet like-minded travellers. The team in our offices run regular social events to help you to settle in, make new friends and get the most out of your experience.

What will it cost?

You should budget for the following costs:

  • Work Canada Essentials Package $489
  • Flight costs
  • Work Permit fee (CAN $250 2019 cost)
  • Insurance - The BUNAC Work Abroad cover is available for up to 12 months
  • Cost of an overseas Criminal Background Check if applicable.
What's included with my BUNAC support package?

On our essentials program we are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including insurance and support packages, as well as accomodation and assistance with your visa application while undertaking your working adventure worldwide. 


Where will I live?

Essentials - 2 nights arrival accommodation is included in your Work Canada program fee. Our partner organisation advertises properties with rooms available and are on hand to help you find somewhere to live once you get to Canada.


How will you help me to find work?

Essentials - We are here to offer advice and support. Once in Canada, our partner offices have online job listings, computers, job boards and knowledgeable staff who can assist you with your job hunt. They will be able to offer CV and cover letter writing assistance and interview advice, as well as help you to obtain your SIN (Social Insurance Number) which you will need before you begin working.

Do I need to have pre-arranged work?

No, you can job hunt on arrival in Canada, even if you do pre-arrange work this visa does not restrict you to that employer so you can still change jobs when you get to Canada if you wish.

What kind of work do people do?

You can do almost anything on this work permit. A lot of people tend to do casual work as this is relatively easy to find e.g. working in a shop, restaurant or hotels. However, as the visa is for 12 months it is possible to find a more career related job (e.g. if you are a qualified teacher, you can get a teaching job in Canada). Ski resorts are popular destinations for skiing enthusiasts to work during the winter season and many of the employers in these resorts offer a ski pass as a perk of the job.

How long can I work for?

The Canadian work permit is very flexible. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada. You can go for up to 12 months – it’s up to you. There are no restrictions on how long you can work for any one company so you can stay in the same job for the full 12 months or move on to another employer whenever you want.


Do I have to take BUNAC's insurance policy?

No, you can arrange your own insurance but you are required to have comprehensive health care and repatriation insurance valid for the entire duration of your permit. Once on the programme, we can email you information on what an insurance policy should cover e.g. medical expenses, repatriations, single trip cover etc. we do have our own insurance policy for your conveinience. 

Ready for the trip of a life-time?

Get Started
Back to Top

Ask us a question - we love to chat!

Contact Information

585 N Juniper Drive
Suite 250, Chandler
AZ, 85226
Phone: 866 220 7771