What is the orientation interview?

At BUNAC, we believe that each volunteer should be treated as an individual. All participants will have a one-to-one orientation interview by phone. It is not a formal interview, but a chance for us to get to know more about you and your reasons for volunteering. We’ll explain how the program works and what you can expect, as well as going over issues such as health and security while in China. This is also an opportunity for you to ask us any questions you might have for us.

If my application is unsuccessful, will I get my deposit back?

If BUNAC rejects your application at any stage you’ll receive a full refund of your program deposit. We have a 7 day holding period, so if you feel that you’re not suited to the program and you contact us within 7 days of attending the orientation interview, you can cancel and receive a full refund (minus $50 administration fee). More information regarding cancellation refunds is included within our Terms and Conditions, which are printed with the application form.

What is a police check?

Each participant must provide a police background check before they travel on this program. You will need to contact either your local police department or the FBI (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/faqs). Charges may apply and the FBI process may take several weeks so if you able to source from a local police department this could be preferable

What medical advice does BUNAC provide?

BUNAC is pleased to work with Interhealth, a charity which specializes in providing health advice for overseas volunteers. Your program cost includes membership to Interhealth and as part of your application process you will complete an on-line medical screening to ensure that you are suitable for the challenge of working in a developing country. Following the screening you will receive comprehensive medical advice regarding inoculations specific to your destination along with some general travel health advice. Your program cost also includes post-trip clean bill of health screening and on going remote health care advice through Interhealth.
The immunizations you may require will vary depending on your destination and also your personal medical history so it is very difficult to provide a guide to the typical cost. However, please be aware that whilst some injections are relatively cheap others (specifically anti malarials) can be very expensive. Interhealth will provide you with further information following your screening.

Does BUNAC help me book my flights?

BUNAC’s preferred travel agent is STA Travel and they will be able to help you book your flights to and from China. Give them a call at the BUNAC dedicated phone number 800-553-7907.
You can also book flights independently, as long as your arrive on time in China. Please make sure you provide BUNAC with proof of your return trip so that we can arrange your airport pick up and transfer.

Do I need to apply for a visa?

As Teach & Travel China is a cultural exchange program based on the Teacher Intern role, you will enter China with an ‘F’ visa. BUNAC will provide you with the appropriate visa forms and guidelines. The documents are returned to us and we submit them to the China Embassy on your behalf. Visas are issued at the discretion of the Chinese Embassy.

Do I need insurance?

Yes. You will have to be fully insured throughout your trip. BUNAC's fully comprehensive insurance policy has been arranged with Seven Corners Inc for worldwide coverage. It is decision on whether you want to book your insurance through BUNAC or if you want to book independently.

More FAQs

What are my teaching duties?

Duties will vary from school to school, but as a general rule you should expect to be in the classroom for 20 hours per week filling the role of teacher or teacher assistant. There will also be preparation time, meetings and assessment as needed.

  • The emphasis of teaching is on "conversational English" and the culture of your country. Many teachers may teach English composition, reading and literature
  • You may be expected to assist to write lesson plans, take attendance, correct homework and even assist in academic counseling, if necessary
  • You may assist in the administration of the school and prepare materials for classroom teachers
  • You may be expected to teach some lessons on your own
What are the characteristics of a Chinese school?

The schools in which you will work will vary, as in all school systems. Generally schools are well-equipped, even though there are aspects that are rudimentary by western standards.

  • The number of students will vary between 2,000 and 10,000
  • The students are generally weekday boarders
  • Schools offer many after school activities for students
  • Class sizes will vary and may be up to 50 students
  • Schools generally have good equipment and resources, even though English resources are limited
  • Buildings are generally modern
  • Recreation facilities are generally of a high standard
  • Foreign teachers are not common in schools
  • You may help to promote your department on special days and year-end celebrations.
Which areas of China are the schools in?

You will have the opportunity to choose which region of China you would prefer to be based in. Our Chinese partner will do all they can to match your preference, but we cannot guarantee a specific area.

  • North China includes the provinces of Heilongjiang, Liaoning, Beijing, Inner Mongolia and Hebei
  • Central China includes the provinces of Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Henan and Hunan
  • South China includes the provinces of Sichuan, Fujian and Guangdong

There are other cities and provinces not listed. We recommend you check a map of China to get an idea of the different regions.
You will be advised of your specific school placement during your TEFL training. It is the schools that determine the placements through selection based on your application and progress during the teacher training.

What type of accommodations and meals are provided?

The accommodations will vary between schools, as each has a different layout. You can expect to share communal facilities. By western standards, the accommodation may be considered basic, but by Chinese standards, the accommodations provided to foreign teachers is spacious and of comparatively high standard. Meals are generally served in a dining hall (you do not need to prepare your own meals). There is usually a separate staff dining hall. Western-style meals are not served and you should try to use chopsticks. If there is not a dining hall/canteen, you will be given a stipend for food.
Chinese food is fresh, but milk, potatoes, bread and coffee are very rare. Rice and tea are staples, but every meal offers a variety of dishes. Unlike the West, Chinese meals are similar throughout the day. Western food can be purchased in the cities, but the quality may vary and it is relatively expensive.

How much spending money should I take?

You should budget for the cost of the international airfare, visa, insurance and the personal expense in China. Teachers receive an allowance while working of RMB 2000 per month, plus a completion bonus of RMB 2,500 at the end of each term. All food and accommodation is included in the program, so the allowance will cover basic costs. It is expected that all participants will require additional savings to draw on, ($300 per month minimum). This amount may vary depending on additional travel and entertainment you choose to partake in.


Ready for the trip of a life-time?

Get Started
Back to Top

Ask us a question - we love to chat!

Contact Information

585 N Juniper Drive
Suite 250, Chandler
AZ, 85226
Phone: 866 220 7771