Tier 5 Visa Eligibility

Learn, Explore, Grow with Intern in Britain

Your complete guide to securing your dream internship

Download your toolkit now

About the Tier 5 Visa

BUNAC is a UK government authorized Tier 5 Visa sponsor. Working closely alongside the UK Government since 2009 to create this unique visa, the relationship continues today to ensure that the visa criteria are met. 

The application and visa process can be difficult to navigate alone, so we will guide you through the process with detailed instructions and friendly staff just a phone call or email away.


  • Be 18 or over
  • Be a full-time student studying at least at associate’s degree level or have graduated within 12 months from the start of the internship
  • Hold nationality outside of the EEA
  • Have an offer of an internship from an eligible UK employer
  • Be able to show proof of support funds (£945). This is usually a bank statement generated in the last 30 days
  • Be ready for a great British adventure!

Visa and Program Regulations

Does BUNAC find the placement?

BUNAC have two programmes - the Intern in Britain sponsorship programme and the Intern in Britain Ultimate programme. On the Ultimate programme, BUNAC will source a placement for you. 

How long will the visa last?

BUNAC can sponsor internships up to 6 months in duration. The visa is only valid for the internship described dates.

Can I change internships?

You cannot change internships. Your sponsorship is granted based on your application for a specific internship.

Can I stay in the UK after my visa expires?

This is a multi entry visa so you can travel before, during and after your internship.

Can I take a dependent?

You cannot take a dependent (spouse, children) with you on this visa.

How long will I be without my passport?

You will be without your passport for 2-6 weeks while the embassy is processing your visa.

Who issues the visa?

The visas are issued at the discretion of the British Government.

Can I request a visa extension?

You cannot request a visa extension of the Tier 5 visa. You will need to return to the US and complete the process a second time.


Do I have to send my actual passport?

Yes. You must send your actual passport to the UK Embassy in New York with your complete visa application. You will receive the passport back with the visa affixed to one of the pages. 

Can I start the visa application now?

You cannot start the visa application process until you have your Certificate of Sponsorship to you from BUNAC.

Will I need to go anywhere to complete the visa application process?

You will need to attend a biometrics appointment at a registered biometrics location. You will schedule this in the visa application.

Can I be rejected?

BUNAC reserves the right to reject my application at any time and is not responsible for any delayed applications or visa approvals.

Can I be sponsored more than once?

BUNAC can sponsor you up to two times for a maximum of 12 months

Do I need to be in a specific country to apply for the visa?

You must apply from the country that matches the nationality of your passport. If you are looking to apply from a country that differs to your passport nationality, you must provide a valid visa proving resident status. 

Ready for the trip of a life-time?

Get Started
Back to Top

Ask us a question - we love to chat!

Contact Information

585 N Juniper Drive
Suite 250, Chandler
AZ, 85226
Phone: 866 220 7771