Book your Work New Zealand experience today!
First stop… FIJI! Before our Working Holiday participants make way to their designated countries, BUNAC intern Andrew got the scoop on what our participants were thinking about only days before starting their year abroad. With their anticipation at an all time high, Andrew asked them about expectations, fears, stereotypes and plans they have for living in Australia or New Zealand. Coming from all over the US, it seems our participants really bonded with their craving to travel and explore the world!
Simon, 22 - Boston, Massachusetts, heading to New Zealand
Brock, 23 – Ohio, heading to New Zealand
Ross, 23 – Indianapolis, Indiana, heading to Australia
Stephanie, 21 – Palmdale, California, heading to New Zealand
Alan – Sacramento, Heading to Australia
Sarah, 22 - Random Lake, Wisconsin, Heading to New Zealand
What are you most nervous about?
• Going to a city by myself – figuring it all out - Alan
• Being on my own for the first time in a different country away from my family - Stephanie
• Different culture – learning about the way they do things - Stephanie
• Making enough money to live and survive - Sarah
• Not knowing where to live. Finding a place. - Brock
• Wasting opportunities. Do what you can do! Don’t miss out on anything - Simone
• Getting a job, making money and balancing work and personal time - Ross
How did you hear about BUNAC?
• Advisors at school - Sarah
• By researching work visas in NZ - Simone
• Googling backpacking trips - Brock
• Through university advertising - Alan
• One of my friends worked with BUNAC to work in Ireland and loved it - Ross
What kind of jobs do you think you’ll do?
• Bartending - Simone
• Woofing - Simone
• Waiting tables - Brock
• Sales/marketing - Ross
• Front desk in hostel – Sarah
• Fruit picking – Brock, Sarah
What are you most excited about?
• Meeting Australian/New Zealand people - Ross
• Bungee jumping – Stephanie, Sarah
• Skydiving – Stephanie, Sarah
• Zorbing - Stephanie
• Zip lining - Stephanie
• Exploring the natural beauty - Sarah
• Having an accent to others - Alan
• NZ people – I heard they’re really helpful and friendly – Stephanie, Simone, Brock
• Clean/beautiful country - Simone
• Green landscape - Simone
• Skiing - Simone
• Snowboarding - Brock
What are some stereotypes you’ve heard about Aussies and Nozzies?
• Australians are mostly surfers - Ross
• Chill mentality - Ross
• They love American accents - Ross
• The local New Zealand people super friendly, makes me more comfortable - Sarah
Any advice for future BUNACers?
• Just go ahead and do it! You can make up as many excuses as you want… just make a plan and go for it. It’s super worth it - Sarah
• Just do it! You’re around people with the same mentality. If you think about it too much you won’t do it and you’ll regret it - Ross
• You’ll make friends everywhere you go! We’ve already met people our Fiji hostel. People from everywhere in the world are around you. Everyone is super friendly [when traveling abroad] and they will want to travel with you too! – Ross
• Doesn’t matter where you’re from. You’ll have fun. - Alan
Full video blog to come!
Inspired by our Group Flighters? Learn more by attending an informational webinar, or start your Australian or New Zealand adventure today!