Book your Work New Zealand experience today!
BUNAC's program coordinator, Brianna, went to meet the Group Flight departing out of LAX on June 2nd. She gives a summary of meeting our participants and their Fiji adventure, leading up to their year abroad in either New Zealand or Australia on one of BUNAC's work abroad programs.
On June 2nd, 2015 seventeen young travelers came together in the LAX International airport to embark on one of the biggest journeys of their lives. After a flight that feels like an eternity, this group spent 3 miraculous days throughout the famous islands of Fiji.
Upon arrival, they were met by a representative of Awesome Travel and taken on a luxurious boat across the crystal clear waters to their first destination: South Sea Islands. This island is so small, that one can walk 5 minutes to any coast and hear a gong throughout the entire island as a means of communication. There is one restaurant, one dive shop, and one hostel on this island.
The second day consisted of a day of boat touring, a visit to the famous Castaway Island, and a Fiji Culture tour. The group lavished in island food and drink as well as some snorkel sessions. During their cultural tour, one of the “group-flighter's” was granted chief status and conducted what is known as a Cava Ceremony. Buzzed on cava and excitement, the group had the rest of the evening to bond and explore.
Day three extended to the main land at Nadi Bay Resort, where the group had full access to the resort pool and beach area for the remainder of their stay. The next morning, a full breakfast was provided at the crack of dawn before their flights breaking the crew to either Australia or New Zealand. This is where they will be spending an entire year abroad on either a Working Holiday Visa or IEP Visa. And so the journey begins…
Each of our Group Flighters came to BUNAC in their own way. Here are some stories that led our young travelers to living abroad for a year…
New Zealand IEP Partipcant
29 years young
• Explained he had a “long history” with BUNAC. He graduated from Lewis and Clark College in Portland, OR in 2008. He first heard about BUNAC when his curiosity to intern in London peaked after graduation; however, that “didn’t work out,” he said. Later in life, still fighting his urge to live abroad he looked into living in New Zealand through BUNAC. “It was never the right time, but finally I just did it.” He left his job and began pursuing his dream to live abroad. The Group Flight just happened to work out with the timing.
Australia Essentials Participant
22 years old
• Graduated in December this year and began substitute teaching, knowing that she didn’t want to commit to anything permanent. She was looking into living temporarily abroad and the decision came between Ireland and Australia. Being from Texas, she knew she wanted and needed to be in the sun. Naturally, Australia was the winner.
When asked about plans once they arrive in their destination, Group Flighter's responded with:
• WOOFing! – (New Zealand participant) already purchased her WOOFing authorization online prior to arrival (Working on Organic Farms – a very popular profession and hobby special to New Zealand).
• Taking a van throughout the countryside left by fellow IEP Visa holders (IEP New Zealand participant)
• Sky diving – (New Zealand participant) already accomplished!
• Living with fellow Group Flighter's in Australia – 2015 remake of “Three’s Company,” Aussie-style
The Group Flighter's have now arrived to their destinations and begun their year abroad. We are confident it will be the most memorable year of their life and look forward to hearing about their adventures Down Under!
Ready to follow your own travel dreams? Spend a year down under in Australia or New Zealand with BUNAC!