Work New Zealand FAQs

Book your Work New Zealand experience With a £100 deposit today!

Book Online

The questions answered here cover a wide range of topics, however if you have any queries not addressed below we encourage you to contact us.


Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On average 80% of participants taking a BUNAC Group Flight join the programme on their own. The Hong Kong stopover provides an ideal opportunity to make new friends.

When should I book the programme?

We recommend that you book as soon as possible. Places are available on a first-come first-served basis. Group Flight bookings must be received at least 6 weeks before departure. If you are arranging your own flights, you must let BUNAC know your itinerary at least 6 weeks before your intended departure.

What will it cost?

You can find a breakdown of costs here.

As you will be on a working holiday, you will earn a local salary whilst away. Most participants use this to cover daily living costs and with careful budgeting can save money to put toward travelling around New Zealand.

I am planning to use the Work New Zealand programme as part of a round-the-world trip. Can I spend time in other countries on my way to New Zealand?

Yes, if you book your own flights you can arrange an itinerary to meet your own unique requirements. You must arrive in New Zealand within 12 months of the visa being issued.


How will you help me find a job?

Our Work New Zealand Handbook has useful tips that will help you prepare for the job hunt. On arrival in Auckland, utilise IEP’s resource centre will provide you with free job boards, computers, free internet and knowledgeable staff. They will help you get your tax number and set up a bank account (both essential for potential employers). 

If you are looking for a head start, why not consider the Skills & Thrills add-on which has been designed to provide you with the necessary experience to find hospitality work.

What kind of work do people do?

Most participants work in retail, hospitality, agriculture (e.g. fruit picking/harvesting) or office temping. Typical jobs include serving in pubs and bars, waiting tables in restaurants and cafes, working in shops and supermarkets, housekeeping and reception work in hotels and hostels, and data entry and customer service roles.

BUNAC products and services

We are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including Group Flights, insurance and work support, as well as accommodation and assistance with your visa application whilst undertaking your working adventure worldwide. However, all of these services are optional and can be purchased independently of our free assistance with finding a job. Our job-finding service is not conditional upon you using any of these products. 



How many nights accommodation do the programmes provide?
  • Starter  - 3 nights accommodation
  • IEP  - 2 nights accommodation
  • Ultimate - 7 nights accommodation. 

You can upgrade your arrival accommodation by an extra 5 nights - see here for prices

Can I reserve a twin room in Auckland?

Subject to availability and an upgrade fee we can arrange twin accommodation for you and your partner/friend in Auckland. Please contact us for more information.

Where will I live?

Most participants live in hostels or rent shared flats/houses. It is common for people to share with other participants they meet on the Group Flight. Vacant properties and rooms are advertised online, in local newspapers, hostel notice boards and in IEP’s resource office.

Do I have to stay in Auckland?

Auckland provides a good base to start your trip, but the visa allows you to work anywhere in New Zealand; North Island or South, winter ski resorts or summer beaches, office temping or countryside farming.


When will i need to pay my full programme balance?

Once you pay a deposit on to the programme, a member of the team in New Zealand will be in touch for a pre-screen interview. Once you have completed your pre-screen then your full balance will be due before your interview with Mount Ruapehu.

What if I am not successful after my interview with Mount Ruapehu?

If you are not successful after interviewing with Mount Ruapehu then BUNAC will be able to switch you over to our starter programme and refund the difference in programme fee.

When will interviews take place?

Resort interviews will take place throughout February and March

When does the New Zealand Ski Season run?

Contract dates are from June until October


How do I know which visa to choose?

If you have never had a Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand and if you are 30 or under, you should apply for the Working Holiday Visa. If you have already had a Working Holiday visa or you are between 31 and 35, you should apply for the IEP Visa.

What support funds do I need?

For the Working Holiday Visa you'll need $4,200NZD on entry into New Zealand. If you're travelling on a one-way flight, you'll need an extra £500 on top of this.

On the IEP Visa you'll need $4200NZD on application and $4200NZD on entry into New Zealand. If you're travelling on a one-way flight, you'll need an extra £500 on top of this.

Proof of funds can be in New Zealand Dollars or Great British Pounds. 

I’ve already had a Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand. Can I apply for the IEP Work Exchange visa?

Yes. If you have already used the Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand you can still apply for the IEP Work Exchange Visa (although this visa is also a once in a lifetime opportunity).

How long do I have to stay?

There is no minimum stay; however we recommend a trip of at least three months. Short trips will need careful planning to ensure you see and do everything that you want to. Finding work may be harder as you will only be able to commit to an employer for a short time. Crop picking and harvest work are ideal for short stay trips. 

The IEP Exchange Visa is available to British and Irish passport holders for a maximum stay of 12 months. 

Irish passport holders can apply for a 12 month Working Holiday Visa. British passport holders can apply for either a 12 month or 23 month Working Holiday Visa. 

As part of the application process for the 23 month visa you must have a government approved chest x-ray and medical which can cost approximately £150. The 12 month Working Holiday Visa can be extended to 23 months whilst in New Zealand providing you still meet the eligibility requirements and you have a medical in New Zealand.

Can I apply for a New Zealand Working Holiday Visa or IEP Visa if I'm from the Channel Islands or Isle of Man?

Unfortunately if you have a passport from the Channel Island or the Isle of Man you are unable to apply for a New Zealand Working Holiday Visa or an IEP Visa.

I am not from the UK, can I apply for a Working Holiday Visa?

If you are not from the UK you may still be able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa in New Zealand. You will have to consult the New Zealand Immigration website to find out whether you're eligible. 

Ready for the trip of a life-time?

Get Started
Back to Top

Ask us a question - we love to chat!

Contact Information

BUNAC Travel Services
Priory House, 6 Wrights Lane
London, W8 6TA
Phone: 033 3999 7516


Stay posted on everything BUNAC

How would you like to hear from us?

To give you the best online customer experience, we would like to pass your data onto third parties, such as Facebook and Instagram. Are you ok for us to pass your data onto 3rd parties? *