Work Canada FAQs

Work Canada 2018 is open. Register today to kickstart your Canadian adventure!

Make that Canadian dream a reality in 2018

Book Online


When should I apply for the Work Canada programme?

You can book the Work Canada 2019 programme from September 2018. Visas are limited, and released in mid October, so we recommend early applications. Release dates differ from year to year.

Who can apply for the Work Canada programme?

For British passport holders you must be aged between 18-30 inclusive, for Irish passport holders you can be between 18-35 inclusive. If you are a different nationality please call us on 0333 999 7516.

I have been on the Work Canada programme before. Can I go again?

If you participated in IEC before 2015 for a period of up to 12 months, you are eligible for a second participation of up to 24 months. Those who participated in IEC more than once before 2015 are no longer eligible to apply.

Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On Essentials you will have access to our offices in Tornoto and Vancouver, which are a great place to meet like-minded travellers, The team in our offices run regular social events to help you to settle in, make new friends and get the most out of your experience. For Ultimate members you will be guaranteed a job with other BUNACers so there is plenty of opportunity to make friends.

What will it cost?

You should budget for the following costs:

  • Work Canada Ultimate  (£529)  or Essentials (£389)
  • Flight costs
  • Work Permit fee (250 CAD$)
  • Insurance (The BUNAC Work Abroad cover is available for up to 12 months. Request a quote)
  • Support funds (the Canadian Government requires that you have access to at least CAN$2,500 on entry to Canada (2016 funds)
  • Cost of obtaining an ACPO Police Check
  • Cost of an overseas Police Check if applicable.
If I don't get a visa in the 2018/19 allocation will I get my deposit back?

The deposit is a non-refundable deposit however you can transfer your £75 deposit to any of our other programmes.

What's included with my BUNAC support programme?

We are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including group flights, insurance and work support, as well as accomodation and assistance with your visa application whilst undertaking your working adventure worldwide. However, all of these services are optional and can be purchased independently of our free assistance with finding a job. Our job-finding service is not conditional upon you using any of these products.


Where will I live?

Essentials - 2 nights arrival accommodation is included in your Work Canada programme fee. Our partner organisation advertises properties with rooms available and are on hand to help you find somewhere to live once you get to Canada.

Ultimate - All our Ultimate employers include either subsidised accomodation or accomodation assistance, and you will be living with other BUNACers on the programme


How will you help me to find work?

Essentials - We are here to offer advice and support. Once you are on the programme, you will have access to a BUNAC Work Canada Handbook which has useful advice on job hunting and lists the best websites to use for your search. Once in Canada, our partner offices have online job listings, computers, job boards and knowledgeable staff who can assist you with your job hunt. They will be able to offer CV and cover letter writing assistance and interview advice, as well as help you to obtain your SIN (Social Insurance Number) which you will need before you begin working.

Ultimate - You will be guaranteed job interviews on our Ultimate programme. You will interview for the position whilst in the UK. you will need to be available to work for the full summer or winter resort season (Summer - June until September / Winter - November until March/April)

Do I need to have pre-arranged work?

No, you can job hunt on arrival in Canada, even if you do pre-arrange work this visa does not restrict you to that employer so you can still change jobs when you get to Canada if you wish.

What kind of work do people do?

You can do almost anything on this work permit. A lot of people tend to do casual work as this is relatively easy to find e.g. working in a shop, restaurant or hotel. However, as the visa is for 12 months it is possible to find a more career related job (e.g. if you are a qualified teacher, you can get a teaching job in Canada). Ski resorts are popular destinations for skiing enthusiasts to work during the winter season and many of the employers in these resorts offer a ski pass as a perk of the job.

How long can I work for?

The Canadian work permit is very flexible. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada. You can go for 3 months or up to 24 months – it’s up to you. There are no restrictions on how long you can work for any one company so you can stay in the same job for the full 24 months or move on to another employer whenever you want.

Am I guaranteed a job on the Ultimate programme?

We can guarantee up to 3 interviews with our Canadian employers. Ultimately, the decision if you are hired or not is that of the employer so please be aware your 1st choice of location is not guaranteed.


Do I have to take BUNAC's insurance policy?

No, you can arrange your own insurance but you are required to have comprehensive health care and repatriation insurance valid for the entire duration of your permit. Once on the programme, we can email you information on what an insurance policy should cover e.g. medical expenses, repatriations, single trip cover etc. BUNAC, in partnership with Endsleigh, has designed a special insurance policy aimed at meeting the needs of people taking part in an extended working holiday overseas.

Start my Adventure

with a £75 deposit

Just 3 little steps between you and Work Canada.

  1. Trip details
  2. Personal info
  3. Payment

Back to Top