Work Australia FAQs

Book your Work Australia experience With a £100 deposit today!

Book Online


Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On average 80% of participants taking a BUNAC Group Flight join the programme on their own. The Hong Kong stopover provides an ideal opportunity to make new friends.

When should I book?

We recommend that you book as soon as possible. Places are available on a first-come first-served basis. Group Flight bookings must be received at least 6 weeks before departure. If you are arranging your own flights, you must let us know your itinerary at least 6 weeks before your intended departure.

What will it cost?

You can find a full breakdown of costs on our costs page

When do I have to pay?

You can reserve your space on the programme for a £100 depoist and you can reserve a space on a Group Flight for a £150 deposit. Any outstanding costs must be paid no later than 10 weeks before your departure date. You can pay in instalments or all together - easy peasy!

Do I have to commit to a Group Flight?

The online booking form allows you to select a Group Flight and we’ll hold a seat for you on receipt of this initial booking. However, if you are uncertain of your plans you can sign up to a Work Australia programme and then add a Group Flight or extras at a later date. Group Flights are offered on a first come, first served basis and we must receive the flight request no less than 6 weeks before the departure date.

Who can book the Work Australia Essentials Programme?

You must be aged 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of applying for the visa and must be a permanent resident of the UK or Ireland and hold one of the following passports:

Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, HKSAR*, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom.

*Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (includes British National Overseas passport holders). 


How much do I need in support funds?

Australian Immigration explain that you should be prepared to show evidence on arrival of access to support funds. Please see our visas page for information on the amount you will require for each type of visa. 


Funds can be AU$ or £s equivalent. You are not obliged to spend this money in Australia (we expect you’ll be earning during your trip) but it reassures immigration that you have appropriate funds to support yourself for your initial stay. The funds can be either in your name or provided by a guarantor (such as a parent).

Can I extend my working holiday visa?

If you work for 3 months or more in the agricultural industry, you can apply for a 12 month visa extension. This agricultural work will need to be paid to count towards your 2nd year visa. 


How will you help me find a job?

Our Work Australia handbook has useful tips that will help you prepare for the job hunt. On arrival in Australia, utilise our resource centres in Sydney and Melbourne with free job boards, computers, internet and knowledgeable staff who you have have 1-on-1 consultations with. You will be given free access to our national online job board, which list 100s of hand-picked, current vacancies which are suited to people on a working holiday.

If you are looking for a head start, why not consider the Skills Package which has been designed to provide you with the necessary experience to find hospitality work.

What kind of work do people do?

Most participants work in retail, hospitality, agricultural (e.g. fruit picking/harvesting) or office temping. Typical jobs include serving in pubs and bars, waiting tables in restaurants and cafes, working in shops, housekeeping and reception work in hotels and hostels, and data entry and customer service roles.

How long can I work for?

If you have the Working Holiday Visa you can work for a maximum of 6 months with any one employer. You can work for up to 12 months in total; however, the spirit of the visa is to encourage travel which is subsidised by casual employment.

BUNAC products and services

We are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including Group Flights, insurance and support packages, as well as accommodation and assistance with your visa application whilst undertaking your working adventure worldwide. However, all of these services are optional and can be purchased independently of our free assistance with finding a job. Our job-finding service is not conditional upon you using any of these products. 




Does the Work Australia programme include accommodation?
  • Starter package - 1 nights accommodation
  • Ultimate package - 7 nights accommodation

You can upgrade your accommodation by 2 or 5 extra nights, prices can be found here

Can I reserve a twin room in the hostel?

Subject to availability and an upgrade fee we can arrange twin accommodation for you and your travel partner/friend in Sydney or Melbourne. Please contact BUNAC for more information.

Where will I live?

Most participants live in hostels or rent shared flats/houses. It is common for people to share with other participants they meet on the Group Flight. Vacant properties and rooms are advertised online, in local newspapers, hostel notice boards and in our 3 Resource Centres.

Do I have to stay in Sydney?

Sydney provides a good base to start your trip, but the visa allows you to work anywhere in Australia and there are many great places to live and work in Oz! The East Coast, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne and Perth are popular backpacker destinations, or you may like to see the real Australia by living in the outback for a bit – see the Organic Oz package for some ideas. We’ll send you a Lonely Planet guide when you book which is packed with great places to visit.

Ready for the trip of a life-time?

Get Started
Back to Top