The questions answered here cover a wide range of topics, however if you have any queries not addressed below we encourage you to contact us.


Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On average 70% of participants taking a BUNAC Group Flight join the programme on their own. The Hong Kong stopover provides an ideal opportunity to make new friends.

When should I book the package?

We recommend that you book as soon as possible. Places are available on a first-come first-served basis. Group Flight bookings must be received at least 6 weeks before departure. If you are arranging your own flights, you must let BUNAC know your itinerary at least 6 weeks before your intended departure.

What will it cost?

You can find a breakdown of costs athttp://www.bunac.org.uk/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand/costs

As you will be on a working holiday, you will earn a local salary whilst away. Most participants use this to cover daily living costs and with careful budgeting can save money to put toward travelling around New Zealand.

Do I have to buy one of the packages?

The Work New Zealand Package is based on the Essentials programme. The other packages are intended to enhance the experience, however, they are optional and you are not obliged to add anything to the Essentials Package. Most people taking a BUNAC Group Flight also upgrade to 7 nights' accommodation.

Can I buy an add-on without being on the Essentials programme?

The essence of the Work New Zealand Essentials Package is the support and services that are included in the Essentials Package. The extra packages enhance the experience. The packages can’t be arranged without having the Essentials Package.

I am planning to use the Work New Zealand Essentials Package as part of a round-the-world trip. Can I spend time in other countries on my way to New Zealand?

Yes, if you book your own flights you can arrange an itinerary to meet your own unique requirements. You must arrive in New Zealand within 12 months of the visa being issued.


If I book a BUNAC return flight, will I be able to change some of the dates?

BUNAC flights are flexible and allow dates of travel to be changed for a fee of approximately £75. Changes are made subject to airline availability.

Do I have to fly to Auckland?

All BUNAC Group Flights will arrive in Auckland, which is where the IEP resource centre is located. If you are arranging an independent flight you can choose to travel to a city of your choice. However, outside of Auckland the resources will be limited. Please contact BUNAC to discuss your specific needs in more detail.


How do I know which visa to choose?

The key differences between the Working Holiday Visa and the IEP Visa are the length of stay, funds required on entry to New Zealand and the upper age limit. See our visa page for more information on the two different visas. If you are still unsure please call us and we’ll be happy to discuss the options with you.

What support funds do I need?

New Zealand Immigration explain that you should be prepared to show evidence on arrival of access to support funds. Please see our visas page for information on the amount you will require for each type of visa. 

Funds can be NZ$ or £s equivalent. If you arrive on a one-way flight you may need to show evidence of a further £500. 

You are not obliged to spend this money in New Zealand (we expect you’ll be earning during your trip) but it reassures immigration that you have appropriate funds to support yourself for your initial stay. The funds can be either in your name or provided by a guarantor (such as a parent).

I’ve already had a Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand. Can I apply for the IEP Work Exchange visa?

Yes. If you have already used the Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand you can still apply for the IEP Work Exchange Visa (although this visa is also a once in a lifetime opportunity).

How long do I have to stay?

There is no minimum stay; however we recommend a trip of at least three months. Short trips will need careful planning to ensure you see and do everything that you want to. Finding work may be harder as you will only be able to commit to an employer for a short time. Crop picking and harvest work are ideal for short stay trips. 

The IEP Exchange Visa is available to British and Irish passport holders for a maximum stay of 12 months. 

Irish passport holders can apply for a 12 month Working Holiday Visa. British passport holders can apply for either a 12 month or 23 month Working Holiday Visa. 

As part of the application process for the 23 month visa you must have a government approved chest x-ray and medical which can cost approximately £150; BUNAC will provide the necessary forms. The 12 month Working Holiday Visa can be extended to 23 months whilst in New Zealand providing you still meet the eligibility requirements and you have a medical in New Zealand.


How will you help me find a job?

Our Work New Zealand Handbook has useful tips that will help you prepare for the job hunt. On arrival in Auckland, utilise IEP’s resource centre will provide you with free job boards, computers, free internet and knowledgeable staff. They will help you get your tax number and set up a bank account (both essential for potential employers). 

If you are looking for a head start, why not consider the Skills & Thrills package which has been designed to provide you with the necessary experience to find hospitality work.

What kind of work do people do?

Most participants work in retail, hospitality, agriculture (e.g. fruit picking/harvesting) or office temping. Typical jobs include serving in pubs and bars, waiting tables in restaurants and cafes, working in shops and supermarkets, housekeeping and reception work in hotels and hostels, and data entry and customer service roles.

BUNAC products and services

We are able to offer a full range of travel and support products including group flights, insurance and support packages, as well as accommodation and assistance with your visa application whilst undertaking your working adventure worldwide. However, all of these services are optional and can be purchased independently of our free assistance with finding a job. Our job-finding service is not conditional upon you using any of these products. 


Does the package include accommodation?

Yes, the Essentials Package includes 2 nights' arrival accommodation. You can upgrade to an additional 5 consecutive nights to coincide with your arrival so that you ahve time to settle in, find your feet and become orientated in your new city. We use well equipped centrally located hostels; rooms e shared single sex dorms and the booking includes breakfast.


Can I reserve a twin room in Auckland?

Subject to availability and an upgrade fee we can arrange twin accommodation for you and your travel partner/friend in Auckland. Please contact us for more information.

Where will I live?

Most participants live in hostels or rent shared flats/houses. It is common for people to share with other participants they meet on the Group Flight. Vacant properties and rooms are advertised online, in local newspapers, hostel notice boards and in IEP’s resource office.

Do I have to stay in Auckland?

Auckland provides a good base to start your trip, but the visa allows you to work anywhere in New Zealand; North Island or South, winter ski resorts or summer beaches, office temping or countryside farming.

Start my Work New Zealand adventure

Not found what you've been looking for?

  • Destination
  • Interest
  • Duration

Don't want to travel alone?

Join one of our Group Flights to travel with other BUNACers and enjoy a 3 day stopover in Hong Kong.

June 16th 2015

August 13th 2015

September 10th 2015

September 17th 2015

October 8th 2015

November 5th 2015

More 2015 dates coming soon...

Group Flights are very popular and seats can fill up to 4 months prior to departure. Call us on 033 3999 7516 to check availability.