Work Canada

At a glance
Cost 339+
Eligibility British 18-30 / Irish 18-35
Duration Brits 12 months / Irish 24 months



When should I apply for the Work Canada programme?

We recommend that you book as soon as possible to take full advantage of all the support services.

Who can apply for the Work Canada programme?

You must be aged 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of booking and be a British passport holder.

I have been on the Work Canada programme before. Can I go again?

Yes. You can get a total of two working holiday visas for Canada as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

Do many people travel on their own?

Yes. On Self Placement you will have access to our offices in Tornoto and Vancouver are a great place to meet like-minded travellers, The team in our offices run regular social events to help you to settle in, make new friends and get the most out of your experience. For Full Placement members you will be guaranteed a job with other BUNACers so there is plenty of opportunity to make friends.

What will it cost?

You should budget for the following costs:

  • Work Canada Full Placement (£539)  or Self Placement(£339)
  • Flight costs
  • Work Permit fee (CAN$150 2013 cost)
  • Insurance (The BUNAC Work Abroad cover is available for up to 12 months. Request a quote)
  • Support funds (the Canadian Government requires that you have access to at least CAN$2,500 on entry to Canada (2012 funds)
  • Cost of obtaining an ACPO Police Check
  • Cost of an overseas Police Check if applicable.


Where will I live?

Self Placement - Most people stay in a hostel for their first few nights in Canada then arrange more long-term accommodation once they know where they will be working. The Work Canada Handbook, which you will have access to on your online account, has information on hostels in Toronto and Vancouver which are recommended for your initial stay and also offers advice on how to search for more long term accommodation. Our partner organisation advertises properties with rooms available and are on hand to help you find somewhere to live.

Full Placement - All our full placement employers include subsidised accomodation, you will be living with other BUNACers on the programme


How will you help me to find work?

Self Placement - We are here to offer advice and support. Once you are on the programme, you will have access to a BUNAC Work Canada Handbook which has useful advice on job hunting and lists the best websites to use for your search. Once in Canada, our partner offices have online job listings, computers, wi-fi have job boards, computers and knowledgeable staff who can assist you with your job hunt. they will be able to offer CV and cover letter writing assistance and interview advice, as well as help you to obtain your SIN (Social Insurance Number) which you will need before you begin working.

Full Placement - You will be guaranteed a job on our full placement programme. You will interview for the position whilst in the UK.

Do I need to have pre-arranged work?

No, you can job hunt on arrival in Canada, even if you do pre-arrange work this visa does not restrict you to that employer so you can still change jobs when you get to Canada if you wish.

What kind of work do people do?

You can do almost anything on this work permit. A lot of people tend to do casual work as this is relatively easy to find e.g. working in a shop, restaurant or hotel. However, as the visa is for 12 months it is possible to find a more career related job (e.g. if you are a qualified teacher, you can get a teaching job in Canada). Ski resorts are popular destinations for skiing enthusiasts to work during the winter season and many of the employers in these resorts offer a ski pass as a perk of the job.

How long can I work for?

The Canadian work permit is very flexible. It allows you to work anywhere in Canada. You can go for 3 months or up to 12 months – it’s up to you. There are no restrictions on how long you can work for any one company so you can stay in the same job for the full 12 months or move on to another employer whenever you want.


Do I have to take BUNAC's insurance policy?

No, you can arrange your own insurance but you are required to have comprehensive health care and repatriation insurance valid for the entire duration of your permit. Once on the programme, we can email you information on what an insurance policy should cover e.g. medical expenses, repatriations, single trip cover etc. BUNAC, in partnership with Endsleigh, has designed a special insurance policy aimed at meeting the needs of people taking part in an extended working holiday overseas.

Start my Work Canada adventure

Not found what you've been looking for?

  • Destination
  • Interest
  • Duration